Monday, February 12, 2007

Bulwinkle, Molson, and other import goods


A friend asked me to translate a Malajube song into English, and the results were mildly shocking. I raised a brow. Here they are, sounding so charming, singing all en francais. But the lyrics are about pilles and prostitutes and ejacule, which is not very croissant and Perrier of them. I guess it's because they're Montrealians, not Frenchies. Canadians are naturally cruder and more into tap water and Bryan Adams.

It seems like Malajube's just out for a good time, a quality I've appreciated from Canadians ever since I spent New Year's Eve at an a-frame ski cabin that flew straight out of the Canadian 1970's and into my American heart. They have shows this week that I recommend: two are sold out at the Mercury Lounge BUT tickets are still available for next Monday at Southpaw in lovely Sparkle Slope. I'll be there dancing mes pantalons off (but not mes sous-vetements, no matter what anyone says to me in French), and you should come too.

Malajube "Montréal -40°C"
Malajube "Pâte Filo"

The video for Montréal -40°C is also more or less fantastique:


Malajube on myspace
Buy anything but the Beatles at Sound Fix in my ex-hood.

1 comment:

s said...

"ex-hood?" oh no you didn't. and even though it was freezing, we did dance our pants off quite impressively, i'd say.