Monday, January 22, 2007

do you have a pulse

I started listening to Sleater-Kinney after stealing a burned copy of Dig Me Out from one of my roommates, a girl who worked at Other Music and would always complain that they'd tell her to shut up and make her work the register. I imagine Other Music to be a kind of cartoony place where everyone is jaded and annoyed but I've only been in there once. With Chris obviously. Anyway, I loved all of Dig Me Out right away, all the way through and lots of times every day, but my favorite song on the album was Dance Song '97. Listening to the album now, I like 2 or 3 other songs better, but good ol Dance Song will always have a special place in my heart.

Sleater-Kinney - Dance Song '97 (from Dig Me Out, 1997)

I call Sleater-Kinney my favorite band now, and this is my favorite song of theirs at the moment.

Sleater Kinney - "One Beat" (from One Beat, 2002)

I bought Morphine's The Night because it had a great cover and because I remembered reading the obituary for the band's lead singer and bassist, Mark Sandman, in Rolling Stone. My favorite band in high school was Soul Coughing, and I had read that Morphine opened for them on a tour once, so I came into the band wanting to like them. "The Night" is the first track on the album, and Sandman's voice is so low and moody and I want to be friends with him.

Morphine - The Night (from The Night, 2000)

No comments: