Friday, May 25, 2007

Basements are west coast

There's no internet or TV in my beautiful new apartment, and found myself playing ukulele last night and trying to figure out the chords to a song from a band (see below) that I've been listening to a lot. This activity kicked watching TV's ass. (1.5 hours per week for Entourage and Lost excluded.)

That said, some people seem to be able to get a lot out of TV. For example, quoting from funny movies is usually a good conversational skill. Also, some people seem able to turn an episode of Family Guy into a personal connection with another TV-watcher. This is why I hate Family Guy on principle, although I have enjoyed watching it on occasion: because friendships based on TV shows are dumb, and so are the shows that spur said friendships. Family Guy is the worst offender.

Anyway, limited luck with the chords. But I did realize that Wilco's new album, which I was listening to a lot prior to this when in a slow music mood, did not make me want to sing or play along. Don't listen to the new Wilco Album unless it reminds you of Guatemala. Listen to this. Ray fills the void that Wilco-post-Yankee-Hotel has left in my slow music heart. That's not nothing.

There are four songs that I have been able to collect on my ipod from Ray's Vast Basement. A fifth, which I don't like, was recently deleted. Here are two, but you can find more on elbo.ws and you probably should go right now and do just that.

Ray's Vast Basement "How Through Sacrifice Danny's Friend Gave A Party"
Ray's Vast Basement "Black Cotton"

1 comment:

annie said...

yo when r we gonna make beautiful blog together.?